Close

Threaded View

I have contacted FTD about their resins, and asked them how likely that their resins will work with Peachy Printer and if they know exact figures for surface tension. They told me that their resins can be used with top down printers which use either laser (like Peachy) or DLP. Here are relevant parts of their reply about surface tension:
    We haven't got any exact figures about the surface tension yet.
    The surface tension of the IB, CB and especially the SW is perfect for top down printing.
    I guess "perfect" here means "good".
    The surface tension of Snow White as well as Deep black is the lowest of all the blends we have.
    Here is a nice table to summarize what we know so far:

Resin Surface tension, dyn/cm Shore D hardness Viscosity, cP Shrinkage
    MakerJuice Substance G 33.5 75 25 8%
    MakerJuice Substance G+ 36.5 75 90 3.3%
    FTD Castable Blend Medium 73 85 0.5%
    FTD Industrial Blend Medium 75 95 0.5%
    FTD Standard Blend Medium 35 100 0.5%
    FTD Snow White Lowest 83 80 0.5%
    FTD Deep Black Lowest 81 80 0.5%

As already was mentioned, MakerJuice Substance G is most likely similar to PeachyJuice. Also, rylangrayston wrote that "all of the resins that maker juice sells will work well with the peachy printer", so we know that 90 cP viscosity is acceptable, and a bit higher is probably OK too. The viscosity in the table is determined at a temperature 25C for FTD resins and at 20C for MakerJuice resins. For people who do not know what Shore D hardness means, here is easy to understand picture.

So, what "medium", etc. surface tension actually means in the table above? We do not know that exactly yet. But I can try to make educated guess, but please keep in mind that it might be wrong. Even resins not intended for 3D printing sometimes have surface tension close to 40 dyn/cm. So, my guess is that most (or perhaps all) FTD resins have surface tension below 40 dyn/cm. But again, this is just a guess.

Since in most cases I will prefer to print opaque parts, FTD Snow White looks to me like a good choice for a first try. They also give "free" pigment to color the resin, so I will be able to print parts in white color + some other color of my choosing. If Snow White will work as expected, I may consider buying Standard Blend to print "softer" parts (hopefully it will work well with Peachy Printer). To actually try anything, I need Peachy Printer which I do not have yet, so I have to wait some time before I can experiment.

Some people may ask "if FTD resins are so good should I buy them instead of PeachyJuice?". Answer is, we do not know yet. Even if we did know exact figures for surface tension, answer would be the same. Somebody has to actually try FTD resin first with Peachy Printer to determine if results are actually good.
    Last edited by Dragon.sh; 12-09-2015 at 01:39 AM.