Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    it really is interesting. Pretty much everyone at the tct show was using pla and most when asked just thought abs was an awful out of date material and wouldn't use it.

And yeah for the shrinkage thing - just adjust the size before printing.
    It's not a major problem - but it is a 'thing'.

So have you enclosed your creator sebastian ?
    I still have a lot of abs on the shelf - thinking about enclosing the klic'n'print and trying it in that.
    Mind you I've got used to my workshop NOT smelling of hot chemical plastic, so who knows :-)

oh yeah check out the material characteristics of polymaker's poly max. Pla that beats abs in pretty much all specs.
    http://www.polymaker.com/wp-content/...PLA_TDS-v1.pdf

I find that all the ingeo based filaments I've tried are just really tough. The parts I make that undergo the most stress, have always lasted longer in pla than abs.
    Like all things it's swings and roundabouts - I can only go by what I;ve made and how well it's done what i wanted it to. And in that respect pla always out performs abs.

I guess the acetone smoothing could be a positive.
    I'm just glad I don't have to use it any more :-)

The thing is that bot pet and polycarbonate are generally better than and and print easier. Prices are coming down and pla is improving all the time.

Abs is cheap :-)
    But for me the warpage, smell and reliance on acetone just massively outweigh any potential benefits.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-08-2015 at 04:29 AM.