Close

Need help with a printing defect

So I have calibrated my machine as best as I can (I am by no means an expert) I have tried different programs to print the same model and I get the same defect over and over again.
    I have tried 5 different filaments different printing speeds and temperatures but I cannot seem to get a clean print
    0925151932.jpgClick for larger version
    This cute little elephant is by LeFabShop http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:257911
    I when the printer starts to widen the print I get these nasty looking layers and on the ears at the bottom they get the same sort of thing. Now this model is supposed to print without supports or rafts. I still print with a raft as I like the extra layer to work out any problems. I have looked around and can't seem to find an example of this problem to work off of.
    Currently I am printing in PLA it's good stuff although the defect also happens in ABS
    I have varied the print speed from 130mm/s all the way down to 40mm/s
    Print temp is 200 with a bed temp of 40. I have gone higher on both but it doesn't seem to make a big difference except things tend to get a little goopy around 215c and things get worse.
    Here are two more examples of the same issue:
    0925151932a.jpg
    This one has the same issue around each joint and the ears
    0925151933.jpg
    This one is an extreme example but you can better see the defect

I have tried makerbot, slic3r, and replicatorg and get the same result with each some are better some are much worse. I have the latest software on my printer flashforge creator pro. And the latest versions of everything except makerbot desktop as I find the old version doesn't suck as much. Infill is set at 15% but I have gone as high as 100% with no change. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to fix this issue?
    Thanks in advance this thing is driving me crazy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Syden View Post
    So I have calibrated my machine as best as I can (I am by no means an expert) I have tried different programs to print the same model and I get the same defect over and over again.
    I have tried 5 different filaments different printing speeds and temperatures but I cannot seem to get a clean print
    0925151932.jpgClick for larger version
    This cute little elephant is by LeFabShop http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:257911
    I when the printer starts to widen the print I get these nasty looking layers and on the ears at the bottom they get the same sort of thing. Now this model is supposed to print without supports or rafts. I still print with a raft as I like the extra layer to work out any problems. I have looked around and can't seem to find an example of this problem to work off of.
    Currently I am printing in PLA it's good stuff although the defect also happens in ABS
    I have varied the print speed from 130mm/s all the way down to 40mm/s
    Print temp is 200 with a bed temp of 40. I have gone higher on both but it doesn't seem to make a big difference except things tend to get a little goopy around 215c and things get worse.
    Here are two more examples of the same issue:
    0925151932a.jpg
    This one has the same issue around each joint and the ears
    0925151933.jpg
    This one is an extreme example but you can better see the defect

I have tried makerbot, slic3r, and replicatorg and get the same result with each some are better some are much worse. I have the latest software on my printer flashforge creator pro. And the latest versions of everything except makerbot desktop as I find the old version doesn't suck as much. Infill is set at 15% but I have gone as high as 100% with no change. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to fix this issue?
    Thanks in advance this thing is driving me crazy.
    It's sagging in the overhangs, this will happen, but it's worse than it should be. Higher temps will make thing worse, try going lower. Don't expect overhanging surfaces to ever be as smooth as the rest, they'll always be a little rougher.

PLA usually needs some cooling to prevent sagging on overhangs, either an active cooling fan attached to the extruder (like in the latest version of the creator pro), or you could just set a housefan to blow on the print the whole time.

ABS will sag less without cooling, BUT you need to make sure that your print temp is low enough and your print speed isn't too high.

You may also be overextruding which will make things worse. The rippling on the non sagging parts indicate slight overextrusion. Try increasing your filament diameter in 0.02 increments in your slicr to reduce extrusion.

You can find lots of "overhang test" models on thingiverse, I suggest tuning your temp and cooling settings with one of them. Pick something small, so you can iterate with different settings quickly.
    Last edited by djprinter; 09-26-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks for the response I will give that a try and see if it helps.

I got it in my head that errant currents and temp changes made things worse not better so I have not tried putting a fan directly on it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Engineer-in-Training
    PLA needs some air flow to not sag, ABS can benefit from cooling as well but you need to be careful not to overdo it, and it has to be consistent not "errant."

I tried the fan and my prints look immediately better I am actually upset at all the things I tried when the solution was so simple thanks so much for the help.