I was too busy playing with my scanner to read this thread properly, and it looks like most of you have already hit the major stumbling blocks with the software. I made a feature request thread, as I found it so frustrating, but before seeing this thread. My biggest gripe after doing 100+ free scans of an engine crankcase twice over, is I can't save the state of the 'project' up to that point, and if I press Complete my laptop locks up, program becomes unresponsive, and eventually all this effort is wasted. I also would like to access the scans as is, before they are meshed, so maybe then I could combine them in Meshlab. I did save some simple closed models on the turntable, by doing one pass in two different positions, and then aligning these completed scan files externally. It'd be nice to have an .obj export, but as Nerv says you can use Meshlab for that too.
Hughes did you get any further saving the point cloud scans (.asc??). I've seen the raw scan file as they are date and time stamped in the EinScan-S program files, but I've no idea how it works. presume they start at 0 and go to n number of scans increasing by 1.It looks like the software saves an edited version of the scan, and an alignment file, and then this is incrementally added too??
Also noted are the tripod comments, as I found the same issue doing a largish freescan. It's better to have a tripod or boom arm system to get the camera head at the right angles to illuminate the object better. The angles with taller objects are too shallow, and my first crankcase looked like it was dipped in dripping paint. As soon as I increased the height to look down on the object more, the quality went up, and the definition almost matched Nerv's gearbox scans...unfortunately I haven't managed to save one yet!
Overall opinion, great performing scanner with a great resolution per buck price point, and the only drawback is the clunky software. If EinScan/Shining 3D could improve this it would expand there user base. The software is fine for closed volumes, but things with holes and cavities show its flaws.