Hello Lakester. Interesting use you are putting your MakerFarm to. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by lakester View Post
The process of line detection or vectorization is imperfect. Depending how one has tuned what are primarily image filters, shapes may be included in the initial vector product that ya don't want in the final product.
I believe I tried using Inkscape for this exact reason at one point when doing some 3D modeling of my motorcycle engine. I'm not 100% positive on that though. I remember doing something similar but it never panned out in the end.

I snapped photos of my engine part and then using Inkscape I tried an automatic vector tracing feature. I believe it wasn't to my satisfactory so I ended up tracing it myself manualy. Later in my 3d modeling program (Blender) I used those vectors to make a 3d Model.

Now I've learned other ways to 3D model using reference images. It's accurate but I'm still learning how to perfect it. Mainly getting good reference photos without perspective is the key. My current plan is to design and 3d print an adjustable iphone cradle i can clamp to my table. Having the ability to adjust the height of my camera lens exactly where i want it and lock it into place will be valuable. I can lock it's height to the center height of the real life object I want to design.

Using this method I'm currently accurately replicating a fluid reservoir cover on my motorcycle.