Close

Threaded View

Engineer-in-Training
    This problem is difficult to resolve apart from printing through the bottom of the tank. But there may be a potential improvement in delaying Z. That is you print nothing for 50 layers of Z and then start printing. Then experiment with Z delay until you get the best print.

On reflection, this wont make any difference, there will always be a point where you are printing with a bulging meniscus and no resin on top of the print and hence you are printing into 'thin air'

I'm rambling on ..... LOL........... heating the resin could significantly reduce the surface tension of the resin and could be worth a try

I've just thought of a serious contender for a solution. As you will know, surface tension is the uneven pull of the molecules into the surface of the fluid, because there are no molecules above to pull equally. Well why not float say 1 cm of ordinary tap water on top of resin, to equalise the pull and neutralise the surface tension. Firing the laser through the water. The water should float on the resin easily.

My theory is that this should neutralise the surface tension in the resin layer and print the missing Z values.

Angles must not be too steep or reflection/refraction could occur in the water layer.
    Last edited by mike_biddell; 07-23-2015 at 08:45 AM.