Close

Makergear/Mendelmax3-or-Microcenter Pro/Robo3d

Sorry for another "which printer" thread, but it does get confusing!
    Purpose: General printing, want to be able to use PLA&ABS without proprietary lockin. Want larger area for prosthetics. I am just getting started (have computer background).

Tending to Makergear-M2 or Mendelmax3 - similar specs & price.
    Makergear - consistently very good reviews - solid and reliable - perhaps a bit old. Issues: a bit less open. Advantage - Can get assembled (perhaps I'm a wimp, but seems like a good idea)
    Mendelmax-3 - very new, seems to have similar quality to M3, very open. Very new. Very “kit”.

Both are un-enclosed, which may be an issue with ABS. Perhaps could run in a closet, don't know – don’t see why more are not enclosed so perhaps it is not a real issue. Also both move the print which seems like it would just be a bad idea mechanically, but this is also common.

Then there are the tempting $800 alternatives.
    Microcenter powerspec pro / FlashForge Creator Pro clone / makerbot X2 clone or Robo-3d
    Powerspec (clone of clone) – enclosed, reasonably good reviews, doesn’t move the print. Just a bit concerned about quality and aging design. Flashforge doesn’t seem to offer any advantage, but also has good reviews. Not sure if print quality is on par with the above printers.
    Robo-3d – interesting new kid in the block, good specs but mixed reviews. Only $800!

Every time I go around this circle I seem to be tending to the M2 as something that will really work. But every time around the circle something else pops up. Then I get tempted to go down to microcenter and just try it for half the price! There is no good way to really compare the print quality, reliability and effective speed.

Any thoughts?

Engineer
    I have had an m2 for 2 years now and liked it so much i bought 2 more. I do alot of contract work for a mfg company and i need something that is solid and just works every time as expected. Its a great printer, super premium components, great company and great support. Everything is completely open source. I cant recommend it enough.

Just thought I would follow up. I Purchased a Makergear M2. So far - looks like a very good choice.
    I am posting my experience here: http://forum.makergear.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2538

Why the M2? From everything I was able to find, it just works - so far this is the case. It has good support from the manufacturer and community, has good specs (including new all metal hot end), is mostly "open" and the price is reasonable for what you get.

Thanks for the thoughts!