Quote Originally Posted by AmyInNH View Post
I leveled the bed via the LCD. If you load the filament first, isn't that going to make one heck of a mess oozing plastic with a paper sliding around underneath it? And possibly set the paper on fire?

Now there's a pool of plastic stuck to the extruder. I take it I'm going to have to lower the bed manually and turn on the extruder's heat to get this off. And I'll be guessing my way through it with the LCD. I'd be fine with that if there were no way to damage the machine but the original instructions that came with it, a simple walkthrough, says yes you can damage the machine.

So, how much time do you have between load filament and test print? Following the original instructions, it said load the filament/turn on the extruder heat, then prep your object for printing. Not really, if the filament's oozed out and globbed onto the print bed.
Ok there are two ways you can move your bed without having to touch it. 1.) LCD Menu on actual printer --> "Utilities" --> Then scroll down until you see then select "Jog Mode" --> hit Right direction arrow twice, your screen should read as follows:

Jog mode
Z-
<-Y (Back)
Z+

At this screen you should be able to lower and raise your bed using the up and down direction buttons on printer.

2.) The alternative way includes Replicator G if you choose to use it: The top tool bar in RepG there should be the "Control Panel" button it has 4 arrows pointing in the basic directions (up, down, left, and right). This well take you to the control panel. Under "Jog Mode" make sure the drop box is set on "continuous jog" and then use the Blue Up and Down arrows that control the Z axis to move your bed. I apologize for not posting pics, for whatever reason it wouldn't upload any I tried. I'll work on your next question and get back to you.