Close

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Clogged nozzle

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by usarmyaircav View Post
    ...are you using Repetier Host on windows or Linux.
    I've never futzed with Linux, so that leaves me with Windows when I want to use Repetier-Host. I think dacb once talked about how Repetier-Host for Linux wasn't too robust. Starting to dig into Linux and Raspberry Pi is on the to-do list, but I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

Technologist
    Add usarmyaircav on Google+ Add usarmyaircav on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    I've never futzed with Linux, so that leaves me with Windows when I want to use Repetier-Host. I think dacb once talked about how Repetier-Host for Linux wasn't too robust. Starting to dig into Linux and Raspberry Pi is on the to-do list, but I'm not sure when I'll get to it.
    So what are you using for a slicer now?

So what are you using for a slicer now?
    Simplify3D. From the recent Simplify3D thread -
    My biggest "issue" with Cura was the way top solid layers are handled the same as infill. In other words, you don't have the option to set infill to print as fast as the printer can and also set the top solid layers to print slow for quality. Well, I guess multiple prints also suffered because Cura can't be set to do a retraction on layer shifts, an issue especially since Cura tends to always do layer shifts as the same spot in a print. I don't care for the way settings are grouped in the native Cura, but Repetier-Host repackages the Cura Engine settings in way that made sense to me.
    Don't get me wrong - Cura is capable of some pretty good prints. I just sort of outgrew it. I basically got to the point where I didn't feel I had much of a choice but to spend the money on Simplify3D if I wanted an improvement beyond Slic3r and Cura. Sure, there are a few other outliers like kisslicer, but I opted to not give them serious consideration.
    Last edited by printbus; 01-14-2015 at 02:37 PM.

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    So it's worth the $140 to you in better print quality realized? I'm interested in it.

Technologist
    I am sure I will be also, but it will be awhile before I can justify it since I just got my printer to actually make things . I might try the experimental version of Slic3r.

release notes snip:
    The motion planner that generates smart travel moves when Avoid crossing perimeters was improved in order to support many cases that were previously not handled. It also generates more straight paths.
    Perimeter speed for nested islands are now supported properly.
    The logic for travel moves/retractions/motion planning was rewritten in order to handle several edge cases that weren't handled optimally.
    Last edited by usarmyaircav; 01-14-2015 at 01:58 PM. Reason: word correction, added notes from Slic3r

I am sure I will be also, but it will be awhile before I can justify it since I just got my printer to actually make things . I might try the experimental version of Slic3r.

release notes snip:
    The motion planner that generates smart travel moves when Avoid crossing perimeters was improved in order to support many cases that were previously not handled. It also generates more straight paths.
    Perimeter speed for nested islands are now supported properly.
    The logic for travel moves/retractions/motion planning was rewritten in order to handle several edge cases that weren't handled optimally.
    Interesting. Of course, I've also said previously that it concerns me when you read through release notes and see entries about functions being rewritten, ported to a new language, etc. That doesn't suggest a stable product to me. This "fix" might create new issues that in turn take a while to get resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by TopJimmyCooks View Post
    So it's worth the $140 to you in better print quality realized? I'm interested in it.
    Again trying to maintain consistency with my other posts on Simplify3D - I didn't buy it just with the expectation that I'd be getting better print quality. I bought it since I wanted a reliable, fast slicer that gave me the user configuration options I wanted/needed, and did so with a professional, easy to use GUI. I went into it hoping for better print quality, but fully realizing obtaining that goal would depend on my ability to properly configure the settings, just as with any slicer.

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    I guess I care more about good results than the ease of use. Are you getting better prints if you match temps and setups and slice the same file with Simplify v/s slic3er?

Quote Originally Posted by TopJimmyCooks View Post
    I guess I care more about good results than the ease of use. Are you getting better prints if you match temps and setups and slice the same file with Simplify v/s slic3er?
    My limited comparison where I printed in both is in http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post43580. Others were going to provide pictures of comparison prints, but so far none are posted.

EDIT: Also understand that I still have areas of Simplify3D settings that I haven't explored yet. I've only been using it a couple of weeks.

Technologist
    So printing is going pretty well so far. I have printed out a few of the thumb wheels, 1 to go, the top of the spool holder (although I had infil set to zero, and so I am not sure about the strength of the part), the bottom part of clough42's fan shroud, with mostly good results. I am sure I have some tweaking to do, but once again, while printing last night I had a print just extruding and print air. I am not sure where to go in troubleshooting this. This time I know I had plenty of loose filament so that isn't it. One thought is to tighten the screws on the (guidler?) that hold the filament to the hobbed bolt. Any other thoughts? If I pull out the filament, re-feed it, it then prints just fine.

I apologize in advance if this is not the appropriate thread to pose this question.

I managed to get mess my Makerbot Replicator up pretty bad. I believe it clogged and continued printing for about an hour. There is now a bulb of dried plastic firmly fastened to the bottom of the extruder. Any ideas on how to remove this plastic and get the printer up and running again?

Picture for reference:
    IMG_20150611_085820.jpg

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast