I'm up and running! Turns out the firmware settings are all good and actually make sense. The issue was with Repetier-Host - there is a setting that says where to home (min or max). Once I changed that, everything fell into place and all is well. I've got the Y and Z set and all axis's and the extruder are calibrated. I'm now working with Triffid Hunter's calibration objects to tune things.

When I got it, printing was really sloppy. I believe this was a byproduct of my not knowing what I was doing, and not knowing the firmware parameters so I couldn't set up R-H or Slicer to match the firmware. Going in from scratch and setting up the firmware has been a learning process, but well worth the time. Even now, with things only partially tuned in, I'm amazed at what can be done. And it can only get better!

I may download PronterFace at some point. I was concerned at the start because it looked like there were some other downloads that were needed to get it working on Windows, and my concern was that those might interfere with using either the Arduino environment or R-H . But it seems like Pronterface might be simpler and have a larger experience-base on these forums.

Thanks.