I would say they are trying to deliver something to try and avoid a lawsuit for non-delivery of goods.
I also believe that they are significantly overcharging for it especially on shipping where they are charging around double (or more) for some people.

But yes, it is quite a bad product.

In order to make it work you need to support the entire gantry system from one side, making it lean meaning it will be next to impossible (without additional items) to have good prints.
The attachment for the build plate is absolutely pathetic.
The bearings they have provided are horrible and are difficult to turn.
They have provided the wrong size shims/spacers so when tight the bearing assembly seizes, and for the idlers, they didn't have any shims so the bearing is pressed against the plate making it useless.
The electronics are substandard, with at least some being counterfeit arduinos, with at least one being DOA.
Numerous people have been getting A4988s instead of DRV8825 (numbers may be wrong).
People are also having issues with the stepper motors.

And they have modified their T&Cs to state that if electronics are broken, you need to fix them.

So I would say it is a very bad product.
They appear to want to make money and don't care how they go about doing it and seem to be quite happy to threaten their customers/others if they dare to point out their negative attributes.