Close

Building Speed, why is it measured linearly?!

Hi everyone,
    as you can probably see this is my first time posting , I've been reading the forums anonymously for some time but I finally decided to start posting on my own

There's one thing which has always been bothering me, why is the usually listed building speed expressed linearly and not in volume? Why mm/h and not mm3/h??

Thanks to all of you for your replies

L

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    because it's how fast the print head moves.
    It's not build speed it's PRINT speed.

Plus it's much easier to visualise a print heads movement speed than something as abstract as a volume of plastic. Given that 3d prints tend to have variable infill - do you use the volume of a model or the volume of extruded plastic ?

So movement speed of the print head is just much easier to visualise.
    Plus once you've done a few prints you can more or less work out how long a model will take at a certain print speed.
    Any kind of volume of plastic weight measurement is just going to be too obscure.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Besides, printing a 1" cube at 100 microns takes three times as long as the same mode (with the same infill) at 300 microns. Most companies would quote the quickest time possible - with the thickest layers possible. That's not a measurement that most people care about.