Close

Removing Support Rafts

Hello!

I am wondering - I got my printer working beautifully now. I just have a couple of final questions here for you.

I would love to know - what is the easiest way to take off the support rafters? I printed a Hilbert Cube last night, and it's filled with them, when it shouldn't be. I know the structure will collapse with out them, but what is the best and easiest way to get them off your model after with out destroying the print and leaving it nicked?

The second question that I have, is what is some of the best mm settings you folks use on your layer widths? I use 02 and 001 when I want really fine prints.

Thanks for the help in advance, and I appreciate all of it that I received so far on these boards. Very helpful group and appreciate all the excellent info you provide.

I don't use any raft and it still works perfectly... but then I don't print in ABS, that may be part of the issue ?

Engineer-in-Training
    Are you talking about supports or rafts? Rafts go around the perimeter while supports build with the part vertically. Depending on the slicer that you are using you can adjust the density so that they break off easily. I just work them loose first and then they come off pretty easy.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    rafts are a flat sheet of plastic that the printer lays down really slowly and then prints the model on top. Avoid if you can.
    And as has been mentione dsupports are there to support parts of the print that would otherwise be printed on air.
    (looks up hlbert cube) You definitely mean supports :-)

The best way to print a hilbert cube would be to use pva filament in your second extruder and set that to print support and once printed drop the cube into water and watch the supports dissolve :-)

Looking at those cubes - that's the only way I'd even think about printing one. Otherwise it's going to be a helluva lot of hassle.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-26-2015 at 12:04 PM.