Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    There is a reason that ABS is one of the most used plastics in the molding industry.
    yeah it's cheap and a pretty good all rounder.

But modern pla is better for 3d printing.

You do need to use the right pla. The best I've used to date is the reprapper tech co ltd.
    It's every bit as durable and bendy as abs. almost zero warp, harder and prettier than abs and it smells a lot nicer.

The problem is that the materials chemists have moved on in leaps and bounds but people who have been 3d printing for a few years - haven't. They still believe that abs is better than pla in many ways. When in actual fact - these days it just isn't.
    And sure I can resize every model I design by 1% to get it fairly close to the model dimensions. OR I can just print with pla and it'll be bang on without my having to mess with anything.
    Plus I don't have to breath in acetone vapour - and that will cause anosmia (among other things), which is no joke.

Then there are numerous other materials - all easier to use and stronger and tougher than abs, yeah they might cost a few quid more. But the advantages massively outweigh the cost factor.
    In short - there just is no need to use abs for 3d printing.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-23-2015 at 09:39 AM.