Close

cura 1st layer too high.

so, Ive had a blast with my Turnigy fabrikator, but I have also had a lot of stress. All was going so well on the 2nd day untill I updated the firmware and now cura always starts the 1st layer too high, about .15 away, and can't figure out how to fix it. The new firmware and cura work amazing if I put tape to compensate for the gap. I switched to repetier with slic3r to fix the gap with z offset. I'm having a lot of trouble with repetier and slic3r, too many features, though it is really nice. I liked cura a lot better. Can someone help me either find an older or different firmware for the fabrikator, or help me get cura to work again. It almost hurts to see my prints become soo nice and then go doo bad.

Please help me out guys, I'm soo stressed over this thing.
    Cheers!

Why don't you just modify the offset using the M212, M500 and M501 commands ? To be used carefully though, you can damage the printer if you modify the offset too drastically.

M501 will force the printer to display the offset values.
    M212 will allow you to modify values
    M500 to save the change

Engineer
    If you do G0/G1 Z0 does the nozzle is nearly hitting the bed? If not, your firmware just messed the values of the printers.

That's true, I can mod the gcode in cura. I'm sorry, I'm really new to this. Thanks a lot! I will run a test soon and see.

where would i edit this? all i see is start and end gcode.
    ;Sliced at: {day} {date} {time}
    ;Basic settings: Layer height: {layer_height} Walls: {wall_thickness} Fill: {fill_density}
    ;Print time: {print_time}
    ;Filament used: {filament_amount}m {filament_weight}g
    ;Filament cost: {filament_cost}
    ;M190 S{print_bed_temperature} ;Uncomment to add your own bed temperature line
    ;M109 S{print_temperature} ;Uncomment to add your own temperature line
    G21 ;metric values
    G90 ;absolute positioning
    M82 ;set extruder to absolute mode
    M107 ;start with the fan off
    G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops
    G28 Z0 ;move Z to min endstops
    G1 Z15.0 F{travel_speed} ;move the platform down 15mm
    G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length
    G1 F200 E3 ;extrude 3mm of feed stock
    G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again
    G1 F{travel_speed}
    ;Put printing message on LCD screen
    M117 Printing...

16:17:14.379 : echo:Home offset (mm):
    16:17:14.379 : echo: M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00

edit this?

Well, I edited it. Brought it down .96 and it tries to print well. For some reason the flow rate for the first 2 layers is all messed up. Too much material. If I let it pass, it prints well, if it makes it past that.

Senior Engineer
    Too much flow at the bottom is something all slicers seem to do to make it stick to the bed better allegedly. Use "tweak at height" plugin to correct for it if it is too bad for you to put up with. The other option is to add a chamfer on the bottom of all your models.