Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

This Sea Turtle is Saved Thanks to a 3D Printed Titanium Jaw!

The Caretta caretta, or loggerhead sea turtle, is endangered. A wounded loggerhead showed up in Turkey, with significant damage to its upper and lower jaws--it was taken to the Sea Turtle Research, Rescue and Rehabilitation Center at Pamukkale University (PAU) for help. The PAU team, working with BTech Innovation, was able to utilize 3D technology to create a new implant in order to help the turtle. With a 3D model created via Materialise's Mimics Innovation Suite, the team worked to make a 3D printed titanium jaw implant for the turtle. The operation was a success, and the patient--the world's first sea turtle to receive a 3D printed implant--is recovering. Read the whole story at 3DPrint.com: http://3dprint.com/65476/sea-turtle-3d-printed-jaw/
    Below is a look at the sea turtle's 3D printed titanium implant:

I am curious: how did they "3d print" titanium? I don't seem to see how they did it in the article, and Btech's website is not taking me anywhere other than their front page. Did they sinter it or what?