yep openscad is hand down the simplets to learn and one of the most powerful once you have learned it.

The beauty of it is that you can produce the same result in an infinite number of different ways.
So if you don't understand complicated maths - you don't need to use them. Just write the script the way that makes sense to you.

ie: it's unlikely any two people will write exactly the same script to produce the same complex model.

It's also a pretty short learning curve.
And once you understand the basics it's surprising just how fast you can produce models. I've just re-written a script to make moulds for clay sling bullets (think david and goliath). My new script is fully parametric - ie: someone tells me what size bullet they want to make (length and centre diameter) and I just pop those into my script and it generates a mould to make exactly that size bullet.
I then export as stl and make the moulds.

And that's the other seriously great thing about openscad - every model you make is 100% manifold and 100% ready to print. No netfabb (I've literally never used it), no faffing about with wondering if you've got solids or walls - it just works :-)
Saves a lot of time and effort.