Close

FF3d Creator Pro Sensor Cable source?

Hi,

I am looking for a more reasonable source for the FF3D Creator Pro sensor cable. On the manufacture's website they are listed for $6.00, which isn't bad. But shipping inside the USA is a killer. It's like they have never heard of flat rate USPS shipping. They only offer USP and I can't believe shipping for 1 cable should cost 3x what it costs.

My printer is now acting up again and I've already used the spare that was included with the purchase of the unit.

Okay,

Since no one has answered. Here's another question. How about if I offered to make the cables for sale?

Shipping in the USA would not be UPS or FedEx, so you would save big bucks on the shipping. I figure I could stick upto 5 cables in a Priority Mail Flat Rate Small Box. Shipping would be $5.95 for upto 5 cables.

The cost of a sensor cable would be a little higher since we are talking small run action here. I figure $8.00 per cable. If I can get a preorder of 25 cables that buys me the hand crimp, a hundred ft roll of 4 con 28AWG shielded cable and the connectors and pins. Would 25 people be willing to prepay and wait 1 to 2 weeks for shipment?

This cable will be as good as Flashforge's. I won't say it will be better.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    http://www.cablestogo.com/product/09442

There are some cheaper a little also. One thing that would be valuable over this is making "flex rated" and shielded cables as the stock ones and all aftermarket ones surely are not flex rated. This is why they fail.

That has the same number of conductors and the same connectors, but it is woefully short. The sensor cable is about 42.5 inches in length. These are only 24 inches.

Obviously I could go flex rated, but now we are talking more expense and also greater diameter for the cable itself. That makes it harder to fit in the same space as the old. It is an option.

Super Moderator
    A lot of that 42" cable is bundled up in the wireloom under the machine. It really needs to be flex rated though since that is the reason why they fail. If it costs more to make then that is fine, at least it will last 100x longer.

That was just a quick search for that cable, I am sure there are longer ones out there. Actually haven't had to replace mine in over 2000 hours of printing and still have the spare cable that was shipped with the printer.

Here is one http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-3.../dp/B00066GYXK that is 30".

Actually it's not. After replacing mine once I can safely say that there is not more than a few inches extra. Might be at most 3-4 before it gets tight.

But I do agree that a cable rated for flex would be a good idea. Accordingly I have priced out what it would cost to make upto 50 (40") cables, using a cable rated for flex.

Here's the breakdown.

From Mouser.com
    Alpha Wire 86004CY SL005 100' Spool Cable X 2 315.00
    Alpha Wire FIT221B1/4 BK100 Heat Shrink Tubing 16ft 6.00

From Digikey.com

Molex 0050579404 Female Housing 125ct 22.00
    Molex 0016020069 Female Connector 500ct 29.00

Okay I have to figure both shipping and sales tax into the picture, so we have to add around $50.00.

That makes it $425.00.

Divided by 50

That is around 9.00 per cable with Priority Flat Rate Small Box shipping of upto 4 cables of $6. The catch is that in order to do this I would need a prepaid amount of at least 40 cables.

Yes the cables themselves are $3 more but the shipping is less than half and you get a better sensor cable than FF offers.

Super Moderator
    Sounds like a good plan. You really only need one cable as there is only one that does any flexing. Of course that is just for the sensor. It would be good to get some stepper flex cables made also for the X stepper and the extruders also. The stepper cables should be shielded from noise transmission. 4 conductor cables would be ok still because I think only 4 of the 6 wires are actually used in this application. Yesterday before you posted I was chatting with a company about getting some custom shielded flex rated cable made in bulk. This was from Northwire.