Close

Student
    Follow avluis On Twitter Add avluis on Google+ Add avluis on Thingiverse

Inverted X & Y Axis (prints facing backwards)

Hello there! Been stalking you guys for a bit but I believe I will need someones help for this one.
    I was a Kickstarter backer for the Phoenix from Ez3d (they went under) that was lucky enough to receive a halfway working kit that at least had a few electronics that I could reuse.
    Those electronics went unto a MakerFarm Prusa i3v 12" upgrade kit - fast forward a few weeks later and I have a working 3D printer.
    I like to run the latest and greatest on most of my electronics so Marlin runs on latest development branch which I pair with a Raspberry Pi 2 running OctoPrint (on devel branch as well).
    I also maintain my own fork as I help out the Marlin community when it comes to testing.
    Here is my Marlin branch (for my i3v - any improvements are most welcome!):
    https://github.com/avluis/Marlin/tree/Prusai3v-12
    That should work as a quick introduction, right?

So my kit is working as expected and Marlin has the appropriate configuration (I have looked at MakerFarm's and Roxy's Marlin configurations) and I have verified with the install guide as well.
    But my prints end up facing away from the front of the printer - I believe it is due to my steppers just being different from what MakerFarm sell (and the two that I received from Pololu for the Itty Bitty Double Extruder):
    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/qgo5ijsd2...d6Ttf1cwAjgOha

So I am looking for any tips to flip my prints 180 degrees, while keeping the endstops on MIN (as MakerFarm instructs).
    Here is a print that shows what I mean - the bottom of the picture is the front of the printer:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/he5s7vsi6...42T7zQRQPaCY8a
    Last edited by avluis; 03-14-2015 at 04:48 PM.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    What you have is normal. The MakerFarm configuration has the home position at the left-rear, so that is going to have the "front" of your prints facing the rear of the printer.

If you want to change it, some slicers give you the option to flip x and y. I think there are also firmware tricks you can apply to specify how Marlin correlates the MIN endstops to the bed orientation. Before I wanted to mess with firmware, I just relocated the X and Y min endstops to the opposite travel ends and flipped the motor connectors over.

EDIT: Sorry to hear about Ez3d. They almost got my money about a year ago, but I bought an i3v instead.
    Last edited by printbus; 03-14-2015 at 12:28 PM.

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    or just rotate the stl's by 180 degrees when you slice.

Student
    Follow avluis On Twitter Add avluis on Google+ Add avluis on Thingiverse
    So this is normal behavior, cool! I thought I wired something wrong.
    If it bothers me too much I'll probably just rotate the model in slic3r or make that permanent change on the printer as printbus suggests.
    Thanks again for the tips~

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Yeah I rotated parts for a while, but grew annoyed with that as a "fix".

Engineer
    You can rotate the stl's, or you can move your X and Y endstops to be next to their motors, Y in back and X on the left, and flip your motor plugs on the controller board. This will also have the front of your prints facing the front of the printer.

edit: oops, I see printbus has already mentioned moving the endstops and flipping the plugs.