Close

Technician

Need help deciding on options for purchse

Well just came from our tax preparer's office and it looks like I'll be getting my printer sooner than I thought.

1. I think I want something better than RAMPS, and I would have to buy the 12" to get it. I was thinking I would be content with the 10" so is RUMBA worth me buying the bigger printer? I may eventually want to run 2 extruders and would like to be able to contrle two fans. Any other things to consider with this?
    2. The build guides say to buy speaker wire, will any stranded wire of the proper AWG work or does it have to be speaker wire for some reason?

Thanks

Engineer-in-Training
    While I don't recommend going against Colin's advice, I found the speaker wire too thick. I used some plenum rated install speaker wire of the same gauge and it is working fine.

I I went with the 12 inch with a rumba and after spending time learning about it I am very happy with the deduction.

The only thing I might have changed is going with the 1.75 hotend instead of the 3mm. Some recent posts I read suggest you can get better prints cause it extrudes less material per mm. Better resolution I believe but I amnstill green to all this. Colin sold me on the 3mm saying it was less prone to problems.

I have the 12" running dual extruders, with a Rambo board(no longer available)... Its worth it with the 12 inch because now I've lost some of that build volume if you want to dual extrude or more.

Technician
    Another question, I want to order some filament with the order, don't have any concept of how much one uses to print parts.

so, if I want to calibrate, print some stuff like fan shroud, feet, and replacement extruder parts - how many spools would that use approximately?

Engineer
    why are the rambos no longer used?

Engineer
    1kg of filament can really do alot of printing.. i bet you can get all your calibrating and upgrades done in one 1kg spool.

Quote Originally Posted by adamfilip View Post
    why are the rambos no longer used?
    Colin just doesnt offer it, i think he got a deal on the rambo boards, and once he ran out he has quit offering them.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtToe View Post
    Another question, I want to order some filament with the order, don't have any concept of how much one uses to print parts.

so, if I want to calibrate, print some stuff like fan shroud, feet, and replacement extruder parts - how many spools would that use approximately?
    I print daily calibrating and printing things, i've had my printer since November... i've gone through maybe 3 KG of filament... and that's doing a LOT of printing