Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
I see lots of holes in this concept (pun intended).

First, what about those who do not USB their printer? Gcode must be stored on an SD card. Once you have the Gcode, the object can be reverse engineered.

Also, full support of Windows, Linux, OSx? How about mobile browsers/platforms, they SOL? Are you going to guarantee compatibility with EVERY browser or just a few? Will it properly deal with plugins like AdBlock, Greasemonkey playing with the browser at the same time?

What about those with custom printers with custom print heads and multiple extruders? How are you going to allow for support and bed adhesion options?

What about backups, lets just say for instance, your site folds, where am I going to get those items I purchased now? Gone into the ether I suppose?

I don't own anything "cloud" and I don't put stuff there either. I bought retail versions of CS6 and Lightroom for example, just so I can run it when and where I choose and not have to ask "Please, sir, may I have another?". I download and archive all software I purchase on optical media as well as NAS boxes on my network. I do not rely on the web/internet for day to day use of software. In fact I go out of my way to firewall software phoning home by blocking it in my router as well as software firewalls. How do you plan to deal with customers like me? We just don't get to play in your sandbox I suppose? There are more of me out there than you think. Those who don't like depending on "services" and being tracked and data mined are unlikely to opt in on this.

The concept is nice, the hurdles are numerous. For me, the models would have to be pretty darn unique or really good for me to go in on this plan.

I don't mean to come down on you, I am just asking the hard questions that many may wonder and not actually voice.
Hi, thanks a lot for your voice! This kind of discussion is meaningful.

I'd like to answer your doubts, not try to "force" you to agree, but just feel it's necessary to response.

First, we respect users' different habits, if you are not used to our way, we'll not force you in. And we do not directly give Gcode to users neither, as we know, Gcode can be reversed easily. What we do is to generate an authorization file (you can take it as BT file) of the design you purchased. You open this authorization file in the interface, set parameters, then click print to transmit the data to your 3D printer. Just because of the data transmission, users have to connect computer with 3D printer via USB. As long as transmission is over, you can pull out USB connection.

As to the compatibility, at least now we've been compatible with the most popular operating systems, browsers and 3D printers. We endeavor to surprise users with a really good experience, while we're making progress step by step. Yes, a long way to go but we like challenges. All your support, feedback and suggestions are great help to us!

And what if we stop service? Haha, this question is like "I bought a lot apps on itunes store, what if Apple is down?" To be honest, as a staff in NovoMaker, I don't even worry what if the company stops paying me salary ;P We do not use "cloud" for cloud's sake. Cloud is not our purpose, but it's an effective method to solve the serious copyright issues.

Anyway, I do hope you have a try, I'll keep you guys informed when we're ready