Close

Banned

3D Printed Facial Prosthetics Are Amazing

Over the last week or so I have been doing research for a section of a book I am in the process of co-writing in the medical field. The research has centered around facial prosthetics which are used to cover up deformities both caused at birth, as well as horrific accidents. What started out as as a search for traditional prosthetic applications, when plastic surgery isn't good enough, turned into an enlightenment, and even more excitement about 3D printing than I could have ever imagined.

There are several companies working on facial prosthetics via a rather simply 3D printing process. Fripp Design, a UK based company, is just one of them. What I have discovered is that instead of having to pay between $3000 to $8000 for custom facial prosthetics, most of which is not covered by health insurance, 3D Printing is allowing thousands of people, who fear public reactions to their deformities, to look normal, and blend in with society for no more then they would pay for a new smartphone. Yep, about $250-$300 can basically buy a new face.

Here is a gallery, which looks somewhat morbid, of 3D printed facial prosthetics. Incredible!

Pretty realistic looking indeed. One day we will be talking about real noses and ears made with human cells on 3D Printers.