Close

Capton and Blue tape

Hi,

Just getting set up and the capton tape has already torn. The flashforge Pro came with a roll of Blue tape. Can I just tape over the capton or is it better to remove it. Any tricks in applying the blue tape? Should I use glue on it, I have some that came with a cubify for a glass bed. Will be using the ABS just for getting set up but in the future will be using PLA exclusively .

Thanks!

B

You can tape over it. I've yet to remove mine even though I never use it, preferring to use glass on top of it so that the surface is easily removable. Stuck to the glass (of which I have many sheets), I put one of the following; Nothing, BuildTak, Elmer's Purple Glue stick, Blue Tape, Blue Tape and Elmer's Purple Glue stick (depending on what I'm doing and what seems neat at the moment)...

Make sure you consider PETG...

Thanks for the quick reply, is there somewhere I can by glass suitable for this application cut to fit?

I don't know where in the world you're located. Here in the States, I just went to my small local hardware store and got common window glass. He cut it from scraps and charged me 2 bucks a piece. Just make sure they hit it on the edges with whatever they use there, to break the sharp edges...

Oh, I forget these forums are world wide, I am in sunny South Florida a freezing 41 this morning coldest in 4 years. Should be 80 on Sunday though. I will see if lowes will cut a pane up for me. Then buff the edges with my Dremel.

Technician
    was gonna chime in that if your in the uk, i have a local supplier that makes custom float glass at 3mm thick with a handling edge (not as sharp) for just over £5, i have yet to fit mine as still sorting out the holding brackets, but i will be removing my alu plate altogether and having the glass just sit ontop of the heat plate.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by fotomaticon View Post
    Oh, I forget these forums are world wide, I am in sunny South Florida a freezing 41 this morning coldest in 4 years. Should be 80 on Sunday though. I will see if lowes will cut a pane up for me. Then buff the edges with my Dremel.
    ....freezing 41? lol. It's been damn near 0 or below everyday where I live!

FlashForge-USA has high temp glass for these at $19, although many people have had luck with the thin regular glass from Lowes. It has been my experience though that ABS prints best on the capton tape.