Close

My introduction and please help

Hello, I would like to introduce me on this board. I'm 28 years old and I would like to learn more about 3d printing. I made my first steps by reading a little bit on few sites about this passion. I would like to begin by making my own filament that is why I already ordered a filament extruder (see image1 below) on ebay which is on the way to me. I would like to make a lot of filaments before buying a 3d printer. I realized that ABS and PLA pellets are expensive and not very ecological, they come from the other side of the world so there is some carbon dioxide emission. For those reasons I would like to use HDPE plastic from recycled milk jugs, detergent or bleach bottles, as long as there is a number 2 on the center of the recycling logo which means it's High-Density Polyethylene. I have few questions to ask now. It will be very kind from your side to answer them. If my project is unrealistic, please let me know also.

Is a shredder like "Filabot" mandatory to make raw material from plastic pieces for the filament
    extruder? I wanna know because I don't know if I should buy this machine right now or later when I will have more money. Can I use hand scissors and cut all the plastic "by hand" in small pieces ? Or I really need this machine ?

Is filament spools mandatory to use filaments on a 3D printer ?

Does filaments made from recycled plastic ( HDPE ) fits on every kind of 3d printer ? Does it makes good quality printed items ?

Will this kind of spool fits for every kind of 3d printers ? http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:186708

If I have filament rolls like image2, is it possible to use it on the 3d printer as it or I need to roll it up on a spool ? Is the filament enough flexible to take rolls of filaments ( only attached by a tyrap for exemple ) and then roll it on a spool ? How to ?

Can I paint 3d printed items ?

Thanks for reading. Waiting for your answers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Buying a filament extruder is generally not a good idea. I know many experience 3d printer hobbyists who bought a filament extruder and ended up getting rid of it because it did not produce quality filament. Producing filament IS an exact science that is near impossible to replicate at home. If you watch this video you will understand https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEkksADFjP8

HDPE is not a very good plastic for 3d printing either. And recycled materials will have dirt in them that can screw up the filament. It's just a very precise process, it's not just throwing plastic in a machine and getting filament out of it.

My advice to you would be to buy a 3d printer first, play around with it and get familiar, and then venture into the field of filament making if your brave enough.