Close

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training
    Tried Cura, liked it. I started a thread on that as I have some questions on the support it generates but overall I liked the print better than the maker generated code.

I have another problem though. My printer is down for the count. I am really struggling with the inconsistent first layer quality and was inspecting the micro endstop when I noticed a bunch of ABS build up on the top of the hotend. I tried to take the fan off and it was not coming off! It has melted to the hotend and there is a bunch of ABS material up there. How could that have gotten up there?

Either I have a leak from the start or something else is happening. My theory is that in some of my prints the nozzle is touching the glass forcing the material to be squeezed out the top. Does this make sense and could it happen?

Well, I broke my thermistor so I have to get a new one. Man, it's weird, but I am happily frustrated with the process. Yeah, i am having troubles but I am enjoying it. Thanks again for all your help guys (Gals, don't really know!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Technologist
    I can't tell you about your melting problem. But usually first bad layer means for me that the bed is not level correctly to the hotend. Also I see your hotend. Is that the cap that came with the hotend in the packing box If it is. I don't think that's was suppose to be install in the first place. Maybe that's what cause your fan mount to melt.

Quote Originally Posted by rhonal89 View Post
    I can't tell you about your melting problem. But usually first bad layer means for me that the bed is not level correctly to the hotend. Also I see your hotend. Is that the cap that came with the hotend in the packing box If it is. I don't think that's was suppose to be install in the first place. Maybe that's what cause your fan mount to melt.

no that is a horrible fan shroud design, it always melts unless you cut out the bottom of it. the boot is supposed to be there

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by sniffle View Post
    no that is a horrible fan shroud design, it always melts unless you cut out the bottom of it. the boot is supposed to be there
    This. ^

Upgrade the clough42's improved hexagon cooling system as soon as you can but in the mean time, you should be able to use your existing burned shroud. I would suggest cutting the charred plastic back along this red line and reinstalling.

Attached Images Attached Images

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by gmay3 View Post
    This. ^

Upgrade the clough42's improved hexagon cooling system as soon as you can
    Parts ordered this morning. Going to install the ABL too. I just can't wrap my head around the z endstop madness I am having. Everytime I home the printer I get a different result! If I hit home, it will place the nozzle below the glass. I hit home again and it back up and stops. it never goes back down. I hit it again, different position! My understanding is the endstop sets the nozzle height. Is this not the case? Can you guys describe what your machines do when you hot the home button. This is in pronterface and via the LCD.

My thought this the switch is either faulty or just is very inaccurate. Is there something I can write into the Gcode manually to set my bed height manually and not let the machine handle it?

For example, after manually setting the Z height and leveling the bed move the x and y axis to home manually and run this code at the beginning of the print...

G21 ;metric values
    G90 ;absolute positioning
    M82 ;set extruder to absolute mode
    M107 ;start with the fan off
    G92 Z0 ;Sets Z position as home position
    G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops
    G28 Z0 ;move Z to min endstops
    G1 Z15.0 F{travel_speed} ;move the platform down 15mm
    G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length
    G1 F200 E3 ;extrude 3mm of feed stock
    G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again
    G1 F{travel_speed}
    ;Put printing message on LCD screen
    M117 Printing...

Technologist
    So what is the purpose of the hotend boot. I don't have it on mine. Should I install it.

You have a hot end leak. You need to rip apart clean it all out. and re tighten the part to the heater block while it is all hot. I have gone through this and a few others on this forum. It is not uncommon. In my build thread its mentioned. The how to put the hot end together video covers it for the most part just do it while it at printing temp.

So what is the purpose of the hotend boot. I don't have it on mine. Should I install it.
    They added it to the hotend package after the first versions. I know for me it keeps the temp sensor in place much better and reduces the temp drop that happens from the print cooling fan pointed at the hot end tip.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by bstag View Post
    They added it to the hotend package after the first versions. I know for me it keeps the temp sensor in place much better and reduces the temp drop that happens from the print cooling fan pointed at the hot end tip.
    Thank You! For your explanation. I guess I'll be putting that on today. And also looking at your video as well.

Thank You! For your explanation. I guess I'll be putting that on today. And also looking at your video as well.
    not my video. It just shows the part where you tighten up the heater block to the cold zone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stlrjY39l60

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast