Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
I just dont think that many people understand the settings. Of course s3d does have alot of setting so that not surprising really.
Good point Jim. Anything powerful is going to have a lot of settings. You won't find a simple and easy to use slicer that does a great job on everything. There are just too many variables. To really excel at 3d printing you have to be willing to jump in and really learn the settings. I do a lot of reading and cross referencing to find out what settings do. I read help files from other slicers, read online, read technical documents and anything that will explain "exactly" what's going on. Sometimes the variables have slightly different names but in the end, it's all the same. If you want to really fry your brain have a look at Skeinforge. It's a GUI nightmare but there are hundreds of little settings. About 9-months ago I made the decision I was going to learn to use it. Man was that a chore. but, what I found out is that it can do about anything you can imagine, it's just daunting. During that experience I learned a lot about what variables we have that pertain to FDM printers like ours. I also learned in the end, that Skeinforge was way, way to complex for everyday use and I found S3D. I've never looked back and haven't touched Slic3r,Pronterface, Cura, Kisslicer, Repetier-Host or Meshmixer since.

So far, I haven't found anything that S3D can't print well. So, take off those training wheels and dig in. What you learn along the way will make life so much better.