Quote Originally Posted by mike_biddell View Post
Does anyone know how the resin cost per unit volume compares with extruded plastic per unit volume???
I can make a guess (with a lot of poor assumptions). MakerJuice's most expensive resin currently sells for $45/L, so I'll assume PeachyJuice will sell for the same amount. After a quick search, it looks like PLA costs around $30/kg, which ends up being (at 1.25 L/kg) around $37/L.

So the resin will be a somewhat more expensive than PLA, but not by a ton.

Making some rather larger assumptions (and using some numbers from this page), using up 1L of PLA would take about 1kWh of electricity. 1 kWh will only cost a few cents, so the savings in power consumption isn't nearly enough to make up for the higher materials cost.

Of course, the price of resin could end up being lower (or higher), and if the Peachy (and SLA printers in general) get popular enough that will help drive down the price. But we have no way of knowing when or even if that will happen.

Bonus: at a price difference of $7/L, assuming a price of $500 for a printer kit (I think that's about what they go for), you'd have to print around 57L worth of stuff before the PLA printer becomes cheaper (with a break-even point of around $2200).