After looking at some more in-depth reviews of the "dev kit" (aka very early prototype) it looks like the HoloLens uses the NVidia Light Field Display technology, with a reflector similar to the Google Glass to make the images appear transparent. It's clever, and I'll concede, the Light Field Display is technically a kind of very limited-FoV hologram... However, the Light Field requires an actual resolution between 9 and 16 times as fine as the apparent resolution the eye sees, making it terribly inefficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
I find that my brain gets enough input to keep me entertained from a black and white 625 line 4:3 input. Any more than that does not increase the entertainment value that I am watching.
There is actually a psychological condition called "consummatory anhedonia" that is often (but not always) linked with depression. Where a person simply cannot get pleasure from sensory stimuli. (though feelings of accomplishment, goal setting, social interaction, etc. are still present. if there isn't any depression associated with it, it's not even necessarily considered a problem.) I'm not saying that you have it, but you might want to look into it.