Close

Thread: speed

Engineer

speed

How fast can you reliably print at?

70mm/sec? 100? 150?

Engineer-in-Training
    It depends on the part being printed and the accuracy and detail. For instance, I'm printing a series of parts, which are fairly basic in shape and detail, mostly square with some screw holes and a few other details. I can print these at 70mm/sec and the quality is pretty good. I notice that the corners are a bit flared out, but the detail and quality are good. Going slower to say 50mm/sec gets even better accuracy at the expense of time.

Other models, with more details, overhangs, or smaller parts I usually print around 40mm/sec. I haven't taken it up past 90mm/sec, and at least for me, at those speeds and above, my print would have to be fairly simplistic to justify the speed and quality...

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Yeah, it's a loaded question. I try to throw speed at infill, making it easier to tolerate slower speeds on perimeters. For my 1.75mm PLA filament, 0.40mm hex hot end and a 0.2mm layer height, 100mm/sec is certainly doable there. At some point not much higher than that, I believe I'm pushing the limit on how much filament my hot end can process.

I also try to minimize time spent on a print through other factors like optimizing travel speed, acceleration and jerk settings. Here you really start getting into hardware limitations and how well your hardware has been tuned. On a good note, any refinement there will also help in being able to go faster on perimeters without sacrificing quality.