Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
If you are doing the work in OpenScad, I can give you some code that I've used to support weird things I was doing. But it probably is worth while for you to try some of the support options that Slic3r gives you. For that buckle, I would lean towards rectilinear support. It wouldn't hurt for you to print it with each type of support however.

You also get to pick how many interface lines there are in the support and their spacing. Once you understand what type of support you are going to use, it is worth playing with the other parameters.

Incidentally, the shape of that buckle from the bottom is kind of a worst case scenario. No matter what kind of support you choose, you will be trying to bridge out with limited support on each new layer. That is why I think rectilinear (grid) will be best.
Thank you, I will check out Slic3 and do some more learning, you've given me a good start of what to look for. Would you recommend a different orientation for placing the buckle, perhaps on it's back is not the best? My though was that any defects caused by the supports would be hidden on the back.