Quote Originally Posted by Shieldse View Post
Do you do it all from your desk top OME?
Like Roxy, I have a steam-driven computer running my printer. It has a 1300MHz Intel Celeron chip and 448Mb RAM at 1.29GHz. Its operating system is XP Professional SP3. You have to remember that CNC/3D Printers are pretty dumb machines, so it doesn't take a lot of memory or computing power to have them do their job. That's why you can get away with buying an old computer from a Charity shop. If I remember correctly, there was a flurry of problems running some programs when the later versions of Windows arrived. I know theat XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, but by the time they stopped supporting it, it was a pretty stable O/S if you had installed the service packs.

Beware of IT wizards who tell you that they will build you a computer. They sometimes engage in overkill. My office computer was built by my son. It's running an AMD FX 8120 Eight Core processor, has 8 Gb RAM and is running Win 8.1 in 64 bit format. All I know is that it runs Rhino 5 OK and slicing with Slic3r is sufficiently quickly. It doesn't lag when I am working with OpenScad. It's also my Internet connection because the printer computer is not connected to our LAN, and I don't see the need to go on the Net while printing, I'm Facebook-less.

Old Man Emu

My office computer is a desktop. I've never been keen on laptops. I suppose it's because I don't like their in-built mice. I'd rather use a wireless mouse. I have more control over it.