Close

Threaded View

Add GOC on Google+ Add GOC on Thingiverse
    - I don't believe that the industries themselves will be 'disrupted'. I feel that they will undergo and influential change. As mention above the additive manufacturing industry isn't great at high volume applications like making products that can be achieved through vacuum or injection molding. These methods also produce a more rigid part because its not susceptible to weaknesses derived from the layers produce in 3D printing.

- I do believe that 3D Printing will alter what companies charge for small plastic items and will 'disrupt' those companies who don't change. An example I can throw out is this; GoPro is charging a ridiculous $40 dollars for a basic mount and frame. If this was reasonably priced I would buy it for the rigidity, but at that price I've chosen to design and print my own. If companies don't start charging reasonable prices for accessories and replacement parts I believe you will find more people printing the items instead of buying them.

Edit Add:
    - Another industry that need to get their prices in check is the cost for prosthetic limbs for our handicap. Neat article HERE for a $50 replacement hand.
    Last edited by GOC; 12-29-2014 at 10:08 AM.