Close

Threaded View

I can't thank you enough for doing this for me. It is amazing to see that the files have been downloaded 8 times (as at 0:0Hrs UTC 28/12/14)

The car was a frequent element in the newspaper cartoons of Emile Mercier, published in Sydney, Austrlia in the 1950s and 60s. Emile was born in French Polynesia, so there is a connection to the Tri-color. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emile_Mercier_(cartoonist) Apart from being topical at the time of publication, his cartoons record the Common Man in Sydney in the 1950s before massive intakes of European migrants changed the culture, and as such form a useful historical record.

The car was probably created in response to the many micro-cars that were produced just after World War ll. The make of the car was never given, but a favorite letter group that Mercier used was "ETAOIN". I think I'll use that because there are cartoons depicting the "Shrldu Special", 'shrldu' being another of his letter groups (see Wiki entry for an explanation of these letter groups).

The car had a number of variations, mainly around the front of the engine and the tyres. In this cartoon,

Profs car.jpg

the car is being driven by the character "Argylle. There doesn't see to be a name for his lovely passenger.

Here is another model:

front.jpg
    which show some design changes.

These types: gravypie rhs.jpg Profs car quarter view.jpg show how the car was depicted in the background of many cartoons.

At one time in the early 1960s, a full-sized car was made and a novelty item and driven around the site of an international trade exhibition in Sydney.

What I would dearly like to do is make a good print of the car and visit Emile's grave and place the car on it.

Old Man Emu
    Last edited by old man emu; 12-27-2014 at 06:47 PM.