Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
I'm 36. When I was the same age as my kids are now, we had CB radios, Bulletin boards.. skateboards... Sega master systems..

Internet what??

come 2014.. I'm still amazed at the technology at my kids fingertips. We watched video tapes, and when they broke, you opened them up and taped them back to together. Kids now? they have a tonne of movies on a USB stick that never needs taping back together. Technology is becoming so cheap, no point repairing much anymore, its often as cheap to just replace it... who knows what the future holds. I do feel maybe kids take it for granted tho, and won't learn the skills we have by just simply having to fix things over the years, it's a little sad. I suppose that's our job to teach them lol

Just take my money and give me flying cars dammnit!!
Geoff. I spent 35 years as an Industrial Arts & Technology teacher. (that is a "shop teacher", auto shop, wood shop, metal shop, graphic arts, etc) so I know what you are saying. The current feeling here in the states is that there is no reason to spend money teaching hand and service skills to kids in schools anymore. It is sad that the next generation will not know how to build or fix anything.