Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Here's the tiny 3d printed tube alongside the smallest tube that came with the stuffer

Attachment 3373

I actually printed out a shorter tube after that which is the one I used.

food safe plastics are nylon and pet. ]
    And pla.
    It's made from food grade ingredients, doesn't give off toxic fumes when you burn it and is 100% non-toxic.

At the end of the day there are people who will argue the point until the cows come home. And they might be people who breath city air or drink cola/ Both of which are far more hazardous to your health than anything you can do with a 3d printer.

So it's entirely down to the individual.
    I studied biology and chemistry at college and worked in the food industry for anumber of years, even in a commercial food sample testing lab for a while - I have no qualms whatsoever in making stuff for food use.
    It's my choice - it's a thoroughly educated choice.
    And i accept all consequences.

legally i can't sell anything to anyone I've printed that's meant for food use.
    That's legalities - it has no basis in common sense or hygiene - that's my opinion.

I don't drink solutions of sucrose, glucose, citric acid, carbonic acid and phosphoric acid - Coke
    I think people who do are mad :-)
    I'll use it for cleaning drains, cleaning jewellery, tenderising tough cuts of meat, but drink the stuff ? Oh hell no !
    And it's passed as being safe to consume.
    Although:
    Phosphoric acid, used in many soft drinks (primarily cola), has been linked in epidemiological studies to (1) chronic kidney disease and (2) lower bone density.
    (1) A study performed by the Epidemiology Branch of the US National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, concludes that drinking 2 or more colas per day was associated with doubling the risk of chronic kidney disease.[16]
    And yet it's considered foodsafe. And millions of gallons of drinks containing it are consumed every hour of every day.
    Printed plastic is considerably safer than many many things that are consumed every day.
    So make your own decisions - just don't try and sell anything you've printed as food safe. It is, just not legally :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-10-2014 at 02:43 PM.