Close

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    just come across my first serious flaw in the s3d software.

While the infill is quick to print and easy on the printer. It actually adds very little structural strength to the part.
    This is becasue it's like a horizontal spider web. Each layer is not connected to the layer above.

Now with the honeycomb infill in makerware the layers form a coherent structure within the model that makes it incredibly strong.
    I've tried breaking the makerware versions of this part at this point and it can't be done with anything short of a lump hammer.

Going to have to reprint a couple of handles in makerware - as the ones printed by s3d with same settings break at a point the makerware ones never have.

So tip: don't print anything you need to have lateral strength in s3d.

And i'll go add this to the features you'd like to see thread at the s3d forum.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-27-2014 at 05:42 AM.

Engineer
    You need to uncheck the box for random infill placement. This lines up the infill walls making a strong structure inside the model

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    This is why I am a fan of Pronterface + Slic3r now, it gives you control over all of that.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Engineer
    there is control over all that geoff. he just doesnt have the setting right. s3d is a firm believer in hiding things in plain sight. you can look at a settings page 100 times then suddenly wonder where that button came from you never noticed before

he's right I didn't have the setting right :-)

Did one with makerware and one with non-random infill. Both seem pretty strong.

But the one with s3d. Was 0.3mm and 10% infill for the first 75mm and then 0.2mm and 60% infill for the top and the plug. ie the strong bit starts just below where it broke.
    Try doing that with pronterface and slic3r and having it as a single x3g file :-)

Engineer-in-Training
    Why random infill? Would it reduce warping on long parts?

not a clue - but I think it's the default setting.

Given how little it improves strength I'm guessing it's just there for bridging.

Switching it off didn't slow things down at all.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    not a clue - but I think it's the default setting.

Given how little it improves strength I'm guessing it's just there for bridging.

Switching it off didn't slow things down at all.
    Random infill only uses it where required, it's nowhere near as strong.

Does S3D give you the options to combine infill? or combine infill only on certain layers etc? you should check out pronterface, I'm currently trying to get it working on the flashforge, it is 10x better than repg.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Student
    Geoff, I have a Flashforge, one of the originals, and have been using Makerware for the last year. I kept reading about all these settings everyone is adjusting and had no clue wtf they were talking about. I just downloaded pronterface and slc3r and had a chance to poke around a bit. I'm excited to mess around with it! I'll be interested to hear more about it from you but for now...I have to go to work, haha.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Random infill only uses it where required, it's nowhere near as strong.

Does S3D give you the options to combine infill? or combine infill only on certain layers etc? you should check out pronterface, I'm currently trying to get it working on the flashforge, it is 10x better than repg.
    Not sure what you mean by "combine" infill? S3D does give you the ability to change infill and resolution per layer or by different object on the print bed. That's one of the things I appreciate the most about it. I used to have to plan out my print jobs. I'd accumulate all my .10 layer prints with heavy infill on one printer, the other I'd group all my .25 layer hollow models. Now I can do whatever I want on the same bed. Great time saver.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast