Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
if you're using pla then the measurements should be spot on.

Abs shrinks by 1% from the extruded volume.

I'm just printing a part I originally printed in abs. It's got toleareances down to several hundredths of a mil - I'm currently in love with pla - so reduced the size by 1% and keeping fingers crossed.

But everything I've printed with pla has been absolutely bang on the model dimensions.

Geoff swears it's makerware that resizes things. But Ive used it for the same parts in pla and abs and only the abs shrinks in my workshop.
Ah-ha! so that's it. Guess I need to get me some PLA and see what happens. Any insight into other materials? I'm really incredibly interested in t-glase PET for an integrated taillight project I'm working on. Tolerances on that aren't really critical at all but it would be nice to know ahead of time what I'm in for.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
And as I said literally 6 times now we are running different firmware. I am running sailfish v1.0. Because it works, doesn't give me problems and Repg and Makerware both work well (with the exception of the scaling issue)

I am making hundreds of printer parts a day... all of them need to be test fitted with Hot ends, Aluminum extrusions etc. As I said, with v1.0 of the firmware on an old flashforge, Makerware for some inxexplicable reason rescales everything down slightly.

Now this wouldnt normally matter and you wouldn't notice, but when a 15mm extrusion has to slide into a Kossel foot - it cannot be even 0.02% too small or it will not fit. I learned the hard way, otherwise I wouldnt bother saying anything at all.
Thanks for the clarification. I've noticed your posts about makerware re-sizing prints but never caught on about the firmware version being a factor in that.