Quote Originally Posted by Spiff2022 View Post
I played with blender for a while and watched a pretty good tutorial that broke it down Barney style, and I managed to change the box into a wall, then copy pasta and made a 3 sided structure, but then I look at the people drawing characters and mechanical designs and I'm like no way! How did you draw that circle!?!
Well, there is a circle command (can't remember it off the top of my head.) Really though the main thing Blender does really well is rendering, and that's effectively useless for printing. I just don't understand people who use Blender for mechanical modeling. Some say it's like using a sledgehammer to kill a fly, but I say it's like using a sledgehammer to solve math.

For starting out, my personal recommendations are Autodesk 123D Design (for mechanical projects) and Meshmixer for sculpting simple stuff. Meshmixer isn't very powerful, but it's light, meaning it will run fairly fast even on a modest computer, and the tools it does have are fairly easy to learn. It's kind of like... If they were 2D art programs, Meshmixer would be Paint and Blender would be GIMP.

But then, for all I know, you might like Open SCAD better, it's all opinion really.