As promised, my son brought the scanner and we scanned a couple of busts (mine, his & my Daughter-in Law). My son scanned mine in two tries. I am old and it took me 6 tries to do him. You have to move the scanner and paint all the features, there is a distance ring on the computer screen but I kept getting too close and loosing the signal ( oops!) You have to hold the scanner at the object pointed at the object so that it turns green before hitting "start" so it know what to scan and when to ignore. Then you can clean out any "extra" stuff after the scan with the software.

He did his wife in one try! We scanned my RC PT Cruiser (it is a New Brite and about 18" long). I am hoping he prints a couple of our scans when he gets home. You can see my STL file in my avatar. If he sends me a screen shot of the color scan, I will post it later.

I think the scanner is pretty easy to use, we spent less than an hour scanning, cleaning up files and converting to .stl files today. This is for four completed scans. My son said he only spent about an hour at home scanning a few items and learning the software.

Back in the day, you could have spent all day just trying to clean up and rasterize one scan. The software, while simple, seems to have enough tools to clean up a fairly good scan. My son likes it so far. I will post back after we print one of these scans.

If you are interested, you can see most of our scans on his Thingiverse page here;
http://www.thingiverse.com/JohnA/designs