Quote Originally Posted by RobH2 View Post
Filament consumes the same footprint no matter where you put it. The one thing that I'd recommend against is mounting it to the top of your printer. A lot of momentum is transferred from its motion as the X-Carriage changes direction. The more stable the frame is around the print, the better the print. Having 2 lbs. shimmying around above the printer will just increase inaccuracies in prints. You may not notice is on large prints or at really slow print speeds, but once you get the print speeds up, you'll start to see shake.
Good point RobH2! I didn't think of that. This gives even more motivation for me to get this spool off the top of my frame!

I did a little research this weekend and in addition to putting the spool under the printer, I think another good location would be directly behind the printer, centered and level with the bottom of the LCD mount.

If you look at the back of your printer, there is an angle cut from about halfway up on the frame structure in the back which tapers to the top of the frame where the LCD mounts. My thought is to make the flat side of the spool parallel to this angle, offset about 2-3 inches. This offset gets the spool out of the way of the Y bed for any taller prints.

If this can work out then I'd probably rather do this type of mount for the spool instead of the drawer under the printer. The drawer would add a lot of weight and complexity. Plus I'd have to relocate the sorbothane vibration dampening feet clough42 designed!

Sketches to come!