Close

Threaded View

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    There will be those who don't like the print cooler I have. I'll try to get it added to the build thread sooner rather than later.

MiniMad - it'd be interesting to see a rear-mounted cooler. That might have pretty wide acceptance since it wouldn't be in the way of anything. I started with that concept. It just started getting real bulky by the time the fan or blower was located far enough back to clear the v-rail and carriage wheel, and then a shroud had to sneak below the carriage and get around the wheel at the bottom of the carriage. I sketched a concept up on paper, but concluded it was way beyond my current design capability.

I even toyed with the idea of a blower mounted on the outer sidewall of the frame, above where the MeanWell type power supply usually goes. Some sort of flexible hose could then curve down to the bottom of the carriage where I envisioned a shroud was attached. The local ACE Hardware had some 3/4-inch ID corrugated discharge hose that might adapt well to the square or rectangular hole in a blower. If it hadn't been overpriced at $4 USD a foot, I'd have tried that.

I was also intrigued by http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:271875. It uses the split cable loom as an air tube from a blower mounted on the unused extruder motor bolt hole for a Robo 3D printer. The tubing and copper wire length might have to be different for an i3v, but it could work for many depending on how the hot end wiring is routed.

Clough's print cooler was strapped onto the left side of the X-carriage on my printer for a while as well. I put it there after I had an extruder base melt-down with the print cooler mounted on top of the low-flow fan I had installed for the stock hex cooling approach.

The more ideas out there the better.
    Last edited by printbus; 09-12-2014 at 03:43 PM.