Close

Hybrid View

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    IMPROVED KILL SWITCH
    I realize the RAMPS board has a reset button that can shut the printer down, but if some problem is underway I don't want to have to reach around the printer and find it. Cutting power seems to take a while. One option would be to piggy-back a remote switch to the existing reset switch, but I figured I would see what I could do to improve access to the STOP button on the LCD panel. For the unaware, that's wired into RAMPS as the Marlin kill switch. It's not very usable in the i3v frame since the button is recessed below the top of the wood holding the LCD panel. One option would be to glue some extension on the button stub. Another option would be to piggy-back wiring to another button added somewhere more accessible.

I also have some of the same 6mm square type pushbuttons in my parts bins that have taller buttons. They're available in various heights - the ones I have are 13mm from base of the switch to the top of the button. One of these could replace the existing switch.

I opted to go for the clean switch replacement solution that doesn't require drilling holes, adding wiring that might pick up noise, etc. Two of the switch pads are soldered to the ground plane on the board, making desoldering a bit tricky. The button sticks up above the wood panel now by about 2.5mm. It's definitely accessible without sticking up so high that it's likely to get pressed accidently. I'm not a fan for the entire kill action Marlin takes when the button is pressed, but I'll deal with that later. I would prefer for the status screen to keep updating so I could monitor cool-down temperatures.

Last edited by printbus; 05-03-2015 at 10:35 AM. Reason: migrated to offsite image storage due to 3DPrintBoard issues