Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
I've baked cakes before, and this seems pretty ridiculous to me. Cake batter doesn't sit where you put it, it flows anywhere it can. If there's no containment, the best it will do is form a pancake. So all this machine will do is -very slowly, since each layer has to bake rather than fry - to stack a bunch of pancakes. I suppose you could make an understructure for the cake pictured eventually, but it would take a lot of hand work with the icing and other garnishes to make it resemble the illustration.

Talk about a half-baked idea!

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com
I appreciate the feedback, but the commentary accompanying it isn't very constructive.

Since you've worked with cakes before, I'm sure you know that cake batter can be created at various viscosities and different formulations including amount of egg, leavening agent (baking soda), water, sugar, and more. No matter the viscocity, all the aforementioned examples can produce a final product of a sweet, light, fluffy, moist cake.

I admit that the greatest challenge in this design is achieving a fluffy cake layer by layer without running into issues with overbaking, drying out, or misshapen cakes, but they're issues worth working out.

As for icing, it would be another problem that would be worked out, but a solution was proposed in the original article.

I wish you and others would keep an open mind about the breadth of ideas that exist within this still-young industry and this technology. There are far more ugly stories of the follies of men who struck down ideas than there are of dreamers who built up ideas only to fail, test, recalibrate, and come to a working solution.