Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    your picture links don't work for me at all.

Can you just attach them to the post ?

the whole resolution thing is a bit misleading. If you're printing something with a lot of bridging you want a lower resolution. Thicker strands of plastic weill hold and bridge a longer gap much better than a thin strand.

Also the time versus 'quality' trade off can be a bit ridiculous.

I print most things at 0.3 mm Go up to 0.2 if I want really smooth.
    I see on thingiverse that a lot of people seem to print at 0.25. Tried that, printer actually gives better detail at 0.3

So for models with overghangs and tricky angles you'll often get better prints with lower resolutions.

Without seeing your pics can't add much else :-)

One thing - try building with raft turned on.
    I've never managed to print anything without using a raft. so you're ahead of me there.

But, while large items will still warp, rafts help stop that. Plus while you're still learning the craft (not sure we ever stop) you can rattle off prints on rafts with no problems at all :-)
    You use a little more plastic, but 99% of my prints come out damn near perfect.

Also don't be afriad to adjust extrusion temps.
    I've just started a new roll of - supposedly - silver abs. It's light grey. But 230 and 225 were too hot for it. Currently printing a food saver disc at 220 and looking much sharper and cleaner than the mini traffic cone I tested it with at 225.

Also be careful calibrating at temperature - those metal knobs get bloody hot. Get some m3 nuts and print some plastic knobs.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:243998

Food saver disc is a flat disc with small spikes that you push into the ends of partly used cucumber, lemons etc to stop them drying out.
    Friend said she'd seen something like it.
    So I knocked this up in openscad.

In the mk2 I've moved the outer spikes in for smaller diameter lemons, etc and made all the spikes the same height.

And yes that's supposed to be silver.
    What's the betting that the 'gold' abs is just yellow :-)
    Plus it's not great filament.

Mind you the black i got from the same supplier is seriously good stuff.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 08-23-2014 at 11:08 AM.