Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
It is now no longer possible to stick with the UK for manufacture. I recently designed a sensor for current , phase and voltage measurement on low voltage networks. I needed a PCB. Absolute minimum cost in this country was around £100 for 10 off. I found a Chinese company that would do it for no cost, including components and assembly. All I had to do when it got here was programme the PIC. They even put it in plastic boxes and did two iterations of the PCB due to changes after I got the first lot.

No one in the UK will do that without a guaranteed order or at least projections of numbers. It's time that country borders were removed and we all became human beings.
I think you were talking about the costs of the 3D printers' parts. Yes, such parts may be very expensive and you will find it hard to find in your local. That is another reason why "normal" people can use the 3D printer.

Please note that most machines are produced or assemble in China. This is because China is a country which has its advantage on producing. You can find many factories can help you on producing. But not all of them have good quality guarantee. You need to make a research more in the market.