Close

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by djbrowny View Post
    That is a viable option to increase stability.

However something THAT large made of metal? for only $799?

Think about it. the printrbot metal is like 1/20th the size using all metal, and is $540. how can he get such a large amount of metal, for so cheap.

This doesnt solve the issue of the build plate at that size. I swear, the creator just goes 'oh ill solve this problem by designing this bigger, we will buy it later'. Where can you even buy HBP that large. a 214x214 one costs $45, how much do you think a 520x520 one will cost? its going to be insane. I dont think such a thing even exists and when Jeremiah goes to ask suppliers theyll say, yeah we can custom make 100 of them for about $300 each. And getting a small volume of parts precision cut out of metal? good god its going to be in the order of $50-$100 per part, his printer has dozens of these.

I am 100% dead certain that this printer can not exist at that price point. Do a little research yourself and youll see how expensive things are. The heated plate will literally be hundreds of $ at that size and the metal parts could total anywhere up to $1000.

this project has no hope.
    Good points. I backed out of the KS pledge. I'm looking at the Printrbot, Solidoodle 4, and the Da Vinci 2.0. Any recommendations?
    Last edited by chbrules; 08-05-2014 at 07:12 AM.