Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
I notice there is next to no reinforcing material inside these walls, which seems very unwise. This guy might be printing more visually impressive rooms, but they seems a bit less stable than the ones being printed in China. Is the sparse rebar in the first image really enough reinforcement for a wall?
I was also wondering about the lack of reinforcing steel when I first saw the printed houses in China. They are indeed shells of buildings with no advantage I see over something like concrete tilt-up buildings (those warehouse looking buildings like costco).

However, 3d printing concrete does allow for more architectural expression which this Minnesota man is taking advantage of. Just needs to figure out a system to integrate structural. That first pic with rebar laid down flat seems structurally insufficient (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and kind of defeats the concept of automating the construction process (i.e. if there needs to be a guy laying down and welding the rebar between each layer).

But, who knows, maybe some concrete replacement in the future won't even need steel to reinforce it.