oh wow it looks like Willy Wonkas glass elevator.. I want one, now! yesterday.

Would you think I was crazy if I said I could conceive building something that big? I recently moved to the country, on the same property as my brother in law (its a pretty big place... takes me a few mins to drive to his house..) he used to work for the Navy as a metal worker, and besides being a genius mechanic is pretty experienced in working with metal structures this big, and really alot bigger and has the equipment to do so, right here or most of it.

Since I haven't built my own machine yet, it's still a pipe dream, but I am in the process of building a stock size one, which I am hoping to use that knowledge to then utilize my brothers talents and build something that can print BIG, maybe not as big as that machine but most likely within that range. The amount of spare metal sheeting we have here.. it would be silly not to at least try.

I think looking at this design I probably need to start looking at the large extruders first and power consumption, I can't imagine the actual electronics to drive this or firmware differs that much from your conventional desktop machine? (someone please tell me if im wrong.. I really dont know) it's more the power required for the larger motors and extruders, fans etc. I imagine you would be running off something a bit bigger than a 12vdc power supply or a PC 300-500w supply.

I'm not the smartest cookie in the jar, but the way I look at it, imagine you want to build a gigantic RC Car. like big enough for you to sit in. You have the design, all you are doing is super sizing everything and increasing power where it's needed and rigidity, so why not just apply the same simple philosophy to a 3D printer - this the the first one I've seen where it looks like someone just supersized a normal machine.