Close

Threaded View

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    no, absolutely no stick.

I went down as slow as 2cms last night. The line along the edge of the plate sticks, then everything else just gets caught up on the nozzle.
    If I wasn't in an industry where frustration is counterproductive - I'd be banging my head against a wall by now.

The calibrations are good. paper just goes between the heads. I get no head drag whatsoever, and rafts print really well.

But as soon as I try something without a raft - no stick.
    I've got some vinyl plumbers tape I think I'll try tonight. On the gorunds it's just like thick hairspray (well sorta).

I did get a couple of almost prints from abs glue on glass.
    That's probably been the most succesful to date.
    But man I seem to be getting through a lot of acetone - can't be good for me breathing the fumes.

This is where the lack of layer control in the makerbot software is annoying. Pretty sure if I did the first layer at 1cms with 105% extrusion - it'd stick. But I just can't work out any way of doign that and then having the rest print at a more normal speed and lower extrusion rate.

Having a bunch of glass plates to play around with helps no end.
    Can't say my glass cutting skills are anything to write home about. But a quick application of a diamond file to the sharp bits (only one cut so far) sorts that out.

One thing I will say to anyone - do not buy 15cm wide kapton tape. It's just totally unmanageable. I almost got a layer on a plate, last night.
    Almost lol
    Aha!

Kapton is not your enemy.. and for the first 20 months, that's all I printed raftless...

I used to try and put an entire bed on, it took me 10 goes, my wife was screaming from helping me so long hold the roll tight, I was screaming because I was getting air bubbles, I hated it..

then I thought hang on.. why the hell am I putting an entire bed on? Do I NEED to print a 22cm long object??? No I don't, it's only 5cm... and alot of the busts I print are more about height, so as long as I have that centre covered, the rest of the plate can stay bare.

Kapton, Blue tape it protects your plate in NO WAY AT ALL lol... it is there for stick, it doesnt help insulation, in fact anything you put on it lowers its base temp, kapton is the thinnest - but I can't say I havent had success raftless with blue tape either. I sometimes even hold the bottom of the bed and lift it to get a really tight first layer (i know, probably a bad practice) but it works for me.

So instead, I now put about half a plate on, right in the middle and make sure the starting line is covered.

Crease it in the middle , middle gets on plate first, use a credit card to smooth bubbles out on each side, it IS forgiving, if you stick it it can be unstuck and reapplied without bubbles.
    Last edited by Geoff; 07-29-2014 at 05:28 AM.