Close

Threaded View

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    I have the same extruder setup on my i3v. Comments and suggestions:

1. Are you feeling the heat bed getting hot? Or at least pretty warm? I've had no adhesion issues with PLA from three different sources sticking on the glass when running the bed at 70 degrees, hairspray or not.
    2. I often see curling if I'm extruding only small amounts into free air, but no curling if the extruder is running at a normal speed. I think the melted filament just tends to stick more to one side of the tip. Note that I noticed in my build that two of the v-pulley bolts on the X carriage were long enough to rub against the large gear on the extruder. If not fixed, that would keep the gear from rotating properly and the extruder from pushing through the right amount of filament. Periodic catching on the bolts would lead to the x carriage being torqued, possibly leading to your popping off the rails?
    3. Something's not right here. With the eccentric spacer adjusted properly, the X carriage and extruder shouldn't be able to pop off the rail.
    4. A lot of people adjust the bed with only a piece of paper used as a thickness guide for the gap between the hot end and the glass.
    5. 250 degrees seems pretty high. Are you sure the thermistor is making good mechanical contact with the aluminum body of the hot end? I used a tab of automotive muffler cement to keep mine in place.

My build thread might have other i3v suggestions you find interesting. I found numerous ways to tweak the i3v as I built mine.

EDIT: I see JohnA136 and I have some of the same ideas. I'd also look into how to calibrate the amount of filament being extruded. That process would reveal whether the extruder is going through the filament like it should.
    Last edited by printbus; 07-14-2014 at 09:46 AM.